Note: Although I have used openSUSE 13.1 for the following, I think it can work with other Linux distros as well, when using the correct Wine packages.
This worked out-of-the-box after
- adding the user starting the ROBO Pro software via Wine to the system’s
- adding the device for the ROBO TX to the so called DOS devices of the Wine emulator.
For Wine I have installed the following packages:
- wine (at the time of writing, version 1.7.2-2.1)
- wine-mp3 (at the time of wirting version 1.1.39-12.55)
As a GUI for configuration tasks I have found
q4wine handy. So I have installed that package, too.
Connecting the the TX controller to my PC shows the following messages in the system’s log:
[ 4530.329465] usb 2-2: new full-speed USB device number 16 using xhci_hcd
[ 4535.340053] usb 2-2: New USB device found, idVendor=221d, idProduct=1000
[ 4535.340062] usb 2-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 4535.340067] usb 2-2: Product: ROBO TX Controller
[ 4535.340071] usb 2-2: Manufacturer: fischertechnik
[ 4535.340075] usb 2-2: SerialNumber: 0123456789AF
[ 4535.340844] cdc_acm 2-2:1.0: This device cannot do calls on its own. It is not a modem.
[ 4535.340888] cdc_acm 2-2:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
So the OS recognizes the TX controller is an ACM and not a USB device and links it
to /dev/ttyACM0 on my machine. For the difference between ACM and USB devices see the articel at rfc1149.net.
That device is linked under
com3 – without a period at the end of the file name.
com3 on my system, must be added to the registry. You can follow the instructions shown in the previous article concerning ROBO Pro, ROBO TX and Linux. Be carefull to use the correct names for the entries and edit them to match to your environment.